FIRST OFF: I am using this to say, I HATE IT WHEN: There is a button to push for tip amount. I always tip more and all those standardized buttons do is cost my server money.
BUT, it sounds like I am in the minority when it comes to that range.
- Roughly half of America believes the STANDARD restaurant tip should be between 16% and 20% of the total bill.
- Majority of Baby Boomers, 55%, tip in that range, compared to 46% of Generation X, and just 38% of Millennials.
- Majority of Millennials, 55%, believe the standard gratuity is LESS than 16%. Only 51% of Gen X and 42% of Boomers agree.
- 17% of Millennials say the standard tip should be 0% to 5%. 9% of Gen X and 6% of Baby Boomers are also cheapskates.
- Young people also tip the most on the HIGH-END. 7% of Millennials say their base tip is "more than 20%." Only 3% of Gen Xers and 3% of Baby Boomers are onboard with that.
Advice from Benny: TIP WELL AND TREAT YOUR SERVER WITH KINDNESS... After all... They handle your food and have power over what goes in your mouth. (BEWARE)